GPS accuracy depends on a variety of factors, including the device you're using and its operating system, battery life, your cellular network, weather conditions, and whether you are in an open area (congested cellular conditions, trees, and buildings can obstruct GPS). Keep this in mind and please know that slight miscalculations are to be expected when recording.
The app is not intended to record GPS activities or other stats when using on iPods/iPads/tablets since they do not have a GPS chip.
The tips outlined below should restore normal GPS recording to the app on iPhone. This will prevent most problems, including incorrect distance and stats tracking.
There are two settings within iOS 7 and iOS 8 that must be enabled in order for GPS tracking to successfully connect and occur: Location Services and Background App Refresh. Instructions on how to enable them are as follows:
Enabling location services iOS 7:
Visit your System Settings > Privacy > Location Services and turn the switch "On" for Record.
Enabling location services iOS 8:
Visit your System Settings > Privacy > Location Services and turn the switch "Always" for Record.
Enabling background refresh iOS 7:
Still within System settings visit General > Background App Refresh and turn the switch "On" for Record.
Enabling background refresh iOS 8:
In previous versions of Apple's iOS, users could choose from two settings for Location Services: On or Off. Apple changed these permission options in iOS 8, which means we here at Under Armour Connected Fitness must do the same for users who want to track their runs using our GPS and tracking technology!
The new Location Services choices include Always, While Using the App, or Never. For Record users that want to continue to track their runs and have zero GPS interruptions during their run, the settings must be set to Always. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to let us know.
We will not be tracking your location (despite the "always" setting) until you hit "Record workout." We will then stop tracking your location once you swipe to finish recording your workout.
If the GPS and Background App Refresh are enabled try the following steps, they are known to resolve almost all issues.
- Force quit the app and any other open apps. Relaunch it and see if the problem persists. Other open apps, especially processor-intensive ones such as games, GPS tracking apps, etc., as these can cause intense strain on a phone. This strain results in errors tracking.
- Delete the application from your phone entirely, and then reinstall the app from the app store. You will not be charged again for the app you have downloaded previously (even though the prompt is to "buy" the app).
- Restart your cell phone, this can sometimes free up memory and restore functionality. Even smartphones and computers need a power-nap.
- Turn off Wi-Fi before starting your workout. Wi-Fi is known to decrease the accuracy of your GPS and also cause network data transfer conflicts.
- Navigate to your location settings and reset the location warnings option. This will ensure the prompt to allow Record access to GPS appears upon the next open session. You can also turn the switch on in this location.
- Navigate to your device's System Settings and from the Date and Time settings enable automatic time zone. This will prevent GPS points from being reported at an incorrect time when connecting to a GPS signal.
- You may need to turn auto pause off from the in-app settings. Auto pause goes into effect after 30 seconds of inactivity or when traveling less than 2.4 mph and can cause some problems with distance and time measurement.